Downtown Winnipeg BIZ, Exchange District BIZ, West End BIZ, Tourism Winnipeg, and CentreVenture Development Corporation are inviting Winnipeggers to have input in the future of downtown by taking the downtown recovery survey from now to August 13, 2021.
To thank you for your time, your name will be entered into a draw to win one of five $100 gift cards to the downtown, Exchange District or West End business of your choice.
The survey comes with the release of a new report, State of Downtown: The impact of the pandemic to date, that highlights just how hard COVID-19 has hit downtown Winnipeg.
Some highlights from the report:
- Downtown storefront businesses (including restaurants and personal services) lost an average of $2 million a week in gross revenue since the pandemic began, an estimated $139 million in total revenue loss over a 15-month period.
- The cancellation of planned in-person conferences that Tourism Winnipeg generated resulted in the loss of at least 56,000 people coming downtown and more than $59 million in direct expenditures in our city.
- The revenue generated downtown helps support services and amenities throughout Winnipeg. To put that in perspective, downtown Winnipeg is less than one per cent of the city’s total land area but comprises approximately 17 per cent of the commercial property tax base and about 14 per cent of our city’s business tax base.
The report is the result of research and data collected by a group of local organizations that came together to find solutions to aid in the economic and social recovery of downtown Winnipeg. The partners include Downtown Winnipeg BIZ, Exchange District BIZ, West End BIZ, Tourism Winnipeg, CentreVenture Development Corporation and was made possible with guidance and support from the City of Winnipeg.
While the partners are working collaboratively to engage key stakeholders and the public to develop an actionable downtown recovery strategy to be released in the fall, Winnipeggers don’t have to wait to help. Here’s what you can do:
- Get vaccinated.
- Volunteer downtown.
- Enjoy downtown parks, green spaces and the Central Winnipeg Bike Loop.
- Support downtown businesses by shopping and eating at your favourite spots.
- Take a staycation downtown.
- Visit key attractions including museums and galleries.
- Purchase tickets to upcoming arts, culture and entertainment events.