Accessible Customer Service Policy
The Downtown Winnipeg BIZ is committed to providing accessible customer service to all people with disabilities by eliminating barriers and responding to individual accessibility needs. This policy is intended to reflect the principles of dignity, independence, integration and equal opportunity for people with disabilities and meet the requirements of the Accessibility Standard for Customer Service under the Accessibility for Manitobans Act. If a barrier to accessing our goods or services cannot be removed, we seek to provide alternate ways to access the goods or services.
This policy applies to all employees, volunteers and contractors.
Statement of Intent
The Downtown Winnipeg BIZ expects all employees, volunteers, and contractors to adhere to this policy and make every effort to provide accessible customer service to a person with a Disability.
- Communication: We meet the communication needs of our customers, service recipients, and members by offering to communicate in different ways, such as writing things down, reading things out loud, and taking extra time to explain things. We use signs and documents that are easy to read and ensure they are available in alternate formats when requested. Requests for documents in alternate formats can be requested in person during business hours, via phone (204-958-4620), or email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Assistive Devices: We accommodate the use of assistive devices when customers, service recipients, or members are accessing our services or facilities. In cases where the assistive device presents significant and unavoidable health or safety concerns, we attempt to use other measures to ensure the person with disabilities can access our services or facilities.
- Support Persons: Support persons who accompany a person with a disability are welcome to accompany and assist as required. We waive admission or service fees for support persons.
- Service Animals: We allow service animals on our premises. If it is not readily apparent that the animal is a service animal, we may ask if the animal has been trained to help a person with a disability-related need. It is the responsibility of the person with a disability to ensure that their service animal is kept in control at all times. If a service animal is not controlled the handler with their service animal may be asked to leave.
- Accessibility Features: To ensure barrier-free access to our services or facilities, we maintain our accessibility features so they can be used as intended. We are committed to ensuring accessibility is maintained by allowing space for mobility devices, keeping hallways, ramps and waiting rooms clear of clutter and entrance ways cleared of snow and ice. We let the public know when and why an accessibility feature is temporarily unavailable, how long it will be unavailable, and other ways to access our services. When available, we give preference to booking events at sites that are accessible.
- Feedback: We welcome and respond promptly to feedback we receive on the accessibility of our goods and services. We document the actions we take to respond to the feedback we receive, and that information is available on request in a format that meets the individual’s communication needs. Feedback can be provided in person during business hours, via phone (204-958-4627), or email (email@example.com).
- Training: We are committed to providing training to employees, volunteers and management on all aspects of the accessible customer service legislation including how to use any equipment or assistive devices that are available on-site and how to best assist to ensure access to our services and facility. We will also provide an overview of The Accessibility for Manitobans Act, The Human Rights Code (Manitoba), and the Customer Service Standard.
- Record Keeping: We keep a written record of our accessibility and training policies. Our written documents include a summary of our training material and when training is offered. We let the public know that our written policies are available on request.