The Community Homeless Assistance Team (CHAT) is dedicated to performing comprehensive outreach to individuals at-risk of, or experiencing homelessness in downtown Winnipeg.
As the only service that has a regular presence on the downtown streets, CHAT Outreach Workers develop trusting relationships with our homeless community through front line intervention. The Team is unique in their approach in that their relationships are built on the streets – at places where individuals are most comfortable and feel a sense of familiarity.
The CHAT Team plays a vital role in connecting the homeless community with social agencies that:
- Connect to permanent housing options
- Enhance wellness
- Provide addictions and educational support
- Help find employment
The CHAT office is located in the west skywalk in Portage Place.
CHAT Outreach Workers can be identified on the street by their name badges, and will work in collaboration with other agencies in order to ensure a meaningful approach is employed that complements all service provider efforts in supporting this vulnerable population.
Read about some of the Stories of Success.
- 385 Total participants housed directly since 2013
- 5,000 Referrals, connections and reconnections to housing services
- 1,000 Individuals in the first six months of 2017 who connected with CHAT through frontline engagements, assistance and intervention
- 2,400 Applications and placements into detox, treatment and programming for substance use
For more information, please contact:
Community Homeless Assistance Team (C.H.A.T.)
Downtown Winnipeg BIZ
426 Portage Ave R3C 0C9