Title: Streetscape Team
Reporting to the Maintenance & Cleanliness Coordinator and Supervisor, the staff member will be responsible for the maintenance and cleanliness tasks described herein to contribute to a cleaner and more aesthetic downtown image.
Hours of Work:
A full-time seasonal position requiring 35 paid hours of work per week. Days and shifts vary from Monday to Sunday. Evening and weekend shifts will be required. Actual hours and days will vary depending on operational and events.
Rate of Pay: $12.50 per hour
Skills and Qualifications Required:
- Minimum Grade 12 or equivalent
- Between the ages of 18 to 24 years old
- Positive attitude with strong interpersonal skills
- Agreeable to working a varied schedule
- Physically fit and active
- Enjoy working outdoors year round, in all types of weather
- Attention to detail and aptitude for painting, finishing work as well as landscaping / plant care
- Skilled in manual trades
- Comfortable operating tools and equipment as needed, including pressure washer & weed trimmer
- Willingness to learn to operate tools and equipment as needed
- Solid work ethic, dependable, reliable and able to work effectively without supervision
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license
Customer Service is essential at the BIZ! It is necessary to maintain a positive interaction with downtown businesses, residents and visitors. You must always present a polite, helpful, pleasant and enthusiastic attitude when dealing with the public.
- Days are spent outdoors. Heat, cold or wet weather may present uncomfortable conditions on occasion.
- A great deal of walking and bending is required as well as lifting.
- Change-room, shower facilities and lunchroom are provided.
- Uniform and safety equipment must be worn as issued, and only during work hours.
- Positive friendly working atmosphere!
- All workers are covered by Workers Compensation Insurance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Report to work on time, at an assigned location, and to the Maintenance & Cleanliness Supervisor at the start of each shift.
- Follow all rules, regulations and policies of the Downtown BIZ.
- Maintain a Valid Class Driver’s License
- Perform all duties in a responsible manner.
- Ensure all job sites, storage areas and vehicles are cleaned up before leaving each day.
To undertake the following functions:
- Visit downtown businesses to gain their participation in Downtown BIZ image related initiatives.
- Make deliveries to Downtown BIZ members, when needed.
- Assist with Placemaking Committee street projects, displays and events, including setting up signage, canopies, lighting and other.
- Maintain the Air Canada Park Marble Sculptures, Urban Art Galleries and other art projects, ensuring they are tended to daily and regularly cleaned, reporting any issues to management.
- Install signage, posters holders, brochure racks and other as needed in the Weather Protected Walkway System.
- Paint various downtown elements such as signal boxes and window shutters as needed.
- Assist with the installation and upkeep of the Backlane Pilot Project, as needed.
- Assist with the washing and detailing of downtown storefronts, as needed.
- Set up artwork, photos and other visuals in windows, as needed.
- Provide information and directions to downtown users and BIZ members.
- Assist with the set-up and take-down of events.
Downtown Site Furniture:
- Conduct regular ongoing inventories and assessments of downtown street furniture and other elements (such as banners).
- Clean, touch up, paint, install and/or undertake repairs to downtown site furniture, including cigarette butt receptacles, bicycle racks, information kiosks, brochure holders, planters, waste bins, benches and other.
- Install summer patios, including fencing and furnishings.
- Install lights on trees as needed.
- On a daily basis, set up bistro tables and chairs for downtown businesses/events, including Portage Ave & Millennium Library Park, ensuring the furniture is stored and properly maintained.
- Set up of street vendor kiosks and other furniture for Portage Alive as needed.
- Refurbish old/damaged street furniture currently in storage and re-install on the street.
- Prepare/clean out downtown flower beds.
- Undertake annual flower care on downtown sidewalks including planting, weeding, deadheading, trimming, etc. on a regular basis.
- Operate the weed-trimmer as required.
- Prune shrubs as required.
- Clean up and tend to select business planting beds, adding wood chip and vegetation as needed.
- Prepare and install free-standing business planters.
- Assist with the install, maintenance and care of the Indigenous Garden and Community Garden Initiatives.
- Assist with maintaining, removal, shipping and storage of the annual flower baskets.
- Inspect all poles with hanging flower baskets weekly for wear and report to Enviro Team Supervisor.
- Pick up litter on downtown sidewalks, parks and bus shelters (as assigned by supervisor) using equipment provided on a daily basis.
- Using a broom / dust pan and other tools / equipment as needed to upkeep the downtown sidewalks as well as any other public or private spaces as assigned, to clear waste, litter, debris and other unsightly issues, as needed.
- Clean bus shelters as needed.
- Remover posters from bus shelters, light poles and other non-approved areas in the downtown.
- Operate a utility vehicle and pressure washer.
- Pressure wash, deodorize, sidewalks / elements / storefront which are dirty (as assigned by supervisor).
- Record statistics on maintenance and duties performed downtown.
- Record maintenance and repair issues related to sidewalks, streets, public infrastructure, etc. as well as private privacy property and report to the supervisor in order to submit to the City / 311.
- Other related duties as may be assigned.
Ensure all job sites; office and storage areas; and cart are cleaned up before leaving each day.
Pick up litter and remove posters from light poles and non-approved areas.
- Operate a utility vehicle.
- Sidewalk and storefront washing as needed.
- Other related duties as may be assigned from the Manager, Placemaking, Cleanliness & Transportation.
It is necessary to maintain a positive interaction with downtown businesses, residents and visitors. You must always present a polite, helpful, pleasant and enthusiastic attitude when dealing with people. Adherence to all policies of the Downtown BIZ is mandatory. Team will report to supervisor(s) as designated, throughout the day.
When: Starting May 2nd – August 26th, 2016
Hours: 35 hour workweek, 5 working days per week. Must be available daytime, evenings and weekends. Actual days may vary depending on scheduling and operational need.
Wage: $12.50 per hour
All workers are covered by Workers Compensation Insurance.
If this sounds like you, please forward your resume and cover letter with the position title in the subject line by April 4, 2016:
Downtown Winnipeg BIZ
426 Portage Avenue
Thank you for your interest, please be advised only those selected for an interview will be contacted.