About the Downtown Security Network
The Downtown Security Network (DSN) is a Downtown Winnipeg BIZ-led, Winnipeg Police Service-endorsed safety initiative connecting downtown business owners, property owners, and security teams with each other and with the police and BIZ. The DSN allows members to share resources and communicate immediately about safety issues in order to reduce crime and improve downtown safety.
The DSN aims to:
- Take a team approach and ownership of our downtown on matters related to safety and criminal and livability problems affecting downtown, by working and communicating with each other to create a safer and secure downtown.
- Take a proactive approach to solving our downtown criminal problems.
By joining the DSN, members know immediately when incidents occur, allowing you to take added precautions to protect customers, staff and property. Issues will also be communicated immediately to police and the broader network, encouraging everyone to be alert.
The DSN is a proactive, local solution modeled on successful networks in Minneapolis and Portland, Oregon. We also catalogue all downtown cameras to help the Winnipeg Police Service solve crimes.
DSN Membership Benefits
• Training programs and workshops for your staff hosted by the WPS, Manitoba Public Insurance and the BIZ on topics like car vandalism prevention and dealing with panhandlers
• Stay in the loop of our lobbying efforts to improve downtown safety and join us in our efforts
• Ask questions to the police first hand at bimonthly town hall meetings
• Access the DSN members-only website
• Join our DSN Message Board to openly discuss safety issues with other members
• Receive posters and decals for your staff and clients about the services we provide
Joining the DSN
Who can join the DSN? DSN membership is free for Downtown BIZ and Crown Corporation members, with a small annual fee for others. Anyone downtown with a vested interest in public safety can become a member, including small business and property owners, building and residential property managers, and security personnel.
For more information, contact the DSN Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.