July 27, 2016
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DOWNTOWN TRENDS CONFIRM POSITIVE GROWTH FOR DOWNTOWN:
$1.26 BILLION IN PROPOSED DEVELOPMENTS & INCREASE IN RESTAURANTS, LOCAL/INTERNATIONAL TOURISM AND BUSINESS CONFIDENCE
Downtown Winnipeg – An update to the Downtown Trends report reveals a staggering $1.26 billion of proposed developments in downtown, surpassing significant investments built from 2010 to 2015 ($1.12 billion). Residential units planned (1,213) nearly outdo the total number of residential units built from 2005 to 2015 (1,442). Other relevant trends observed: a 19% decrease of total crimes from 2014 to 2015 and a residential increase from 15,745 in 2013 to 16,446 in 2015.
Investment (Cumulative total in millions)
- Total Built (2005-2009): $783.19
- Total Built (2010-2015): $1118.87
- Investment Planned (As of July, 2016): $1264.80
- Total Built (2005-2009): 674
- Total Built (2010-2015): 768
- Residential Units Planned (As of July, 2016): 1,213
- BOMA Best building certifications up from 26 in 2013 to 35 in 2015
- 9 new events in 2015, bringing total number of festivals to 62
- 20 patios installed by the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ since 2007
- Number of restaurants increased from 82 in 2013 to 103 in 2015
- CMHR said “Hello!” to nearly 495,000 people since opening to December 2015
- Downtown apartments under construction growing at a faster rate than the City since 2005
- 83.3% of downtown businesses are confident about the current and future direction of downtown Winnipeg
Download the Downtown Trends 2016 Update for more stats: www.downtownwinnipegtrends.com.
“Downtown Trends provides important research and communication about downtown, intended to inform Downtown Winnipeg BIZ’s members, investors, developers, government, industry, and the community in general,” says Stefano Grande, CEO of Downtown Winnipeg BIZ. “Research like Downtown Trends is important because it quantifies the progress of our downtown, and how this growth can shape and inform further economic and business development opportunities. Downtown Trends research also helps us under the impact of government policy on Downtown Winnipeg.”
As new developments like True North Square emerge in the heart of the city, Downtown Trends provides the private sector with data and research that confirms investment and market analysis that will aid in further strategic planning aims.
“We have found the information provided by the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ to be incredibly informative and current,” says Katie Hall from True North Real Estate Development Limited. “It has proven to be very helpful in assisting us with our market analysis and strategic planning. The folks at the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ are very responsive and happy to work with developers.”
About Downtown Trends
Downtown Trends is a snapshot of the people who work, live, learn and play downtown. It provides insight into the perceptions of the public and information about the developments that have generated increased traffic and significant re-investment in our downtown. Whether you are an existing downtown business considering new marketing opportunities or expansion; a real estate broker or agent representing a client who is thinking of making an investment in our downtown; or an entrepreneur looking at investment in downtown property or opening a business, Downtown Trends is your source for reliable downtown market research. Full report online: www.downtownwinnipegtrends.com.
– 30 –
Emily Ormonde, Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Phone: (204) 958-4626; Email: email@example.com