***Applications are now closed.***
The COVID-19 pandemic has been difficult for everyone, but it’s been especially difficult for downtown businesses. With many downtown workers at home, and the newest public health restrictions in effect, downtown businesses need financial support right now.
To help, we’re giving out 50 micro-grants of $1,000 each to qualifying small and medium-sized businesses in the Downtown Winnipeg Business Improvement Zone (BIZ) that have been negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. Businesses can use the funds for advertising, promotion, signage, rent, repairs, beautification, or any other business expenses they might need it for.
- Grants will be given to qualifying Downtown Winnipeg BIZ members on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Businesses who have received one or more grants from us before are eligible.
- A minimum of 10 grants are earmarked for supporting Black, Indigenous, or People of Colour-owned businesses.
We truly appreciate what each business brings to downtown Winnipeg and recognize that it’s thanks to our members that downtown is a vibrant and special place. We hope these micro-grants will help downtown businesses with some of their expenses through these difficult times.
Businesses that are eligible meet the following criteria:
- The principal place of business must be within the Downtown Winnipeg Business Improvement Zone (BIZ) and the business must pay a Downtown Winnipeg BIZ levy. (Please check your business address to make sure it is within the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ limits).
- The business has less than 50 employees.
- The business has experienced a decline in net revenues or hardship as a result of COVID-19.
- The business is independent or locally owned (franchises are included).
- Owner(s) have not prepared the business for closure or dissolution following March 2020. For example:
- Announced a permanent closure to their employees or customers
- Held a closing-out sale
- Listed their business for sale
- Businesses must complete reporting during and following use of funds (ex. invoice submission, revenue, follow up survey).
- Businesses must have the ability to share the impact of this grant for Downtown Winnipeg BIZ marketing and promotional purposes.
The following organizations are not eligible (as the program is only open to Downtown Winnipeg BIZ levy-paying members):
- Non-profit organizations
- Churches or religious organizations
- Government agencies or offices
- Residential projects
If you have questions, would like to request an application form in another format, or need help with the application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 204.958.4640.