Do you have a Summer Job Yet?
The Downtown Winnipeg BIZ is the friendly and hardworking host that provides a clean and welcoming environment to everyone that visits our downtown. Be part of the solution by joining the Streetscape Team!
The BIZ is looking for hardworking young men and women that love the outdoors, to work full-time from May to August 2014.
General Duties & Responsibilities:
- Promote to all downtown street-level businesses the need to create appealing and litter free streets, sidewalks and public areas by their beautification and maintenance efforts and reinforce the need for a cleaner downtown.
- Visit downtown businesses to gain their participation in Downtown BIZ image related initiatives as needed.
- Make deliveries to Downtown BIZ members, when needed.
- Provide information and directions to downtown users and BIZ members.
- Assist with Placemaking Committee street projects, displays and events, including setting up signage, canopies, lighting and other.
- Maintain the Portage Avenue Marble Sculptures, ensuring they are tended to daily and regularly cleaned, reporting any issues to the Manager, Placemaking, Cleanliness & Transportation and Maintenance Coordinator.
- Install signage in parkades and surface lots for the Gold Star Parking Program.
- Install signage, posters holders, brochure racks and other as needed in the Weather Protected Walkway System.
- Paint various downtown elements such as signal boxes and window shutters as needed.
Downtown Site Furniture:
- Conduct regular ongoing inventories and assessments of downtown street furniture and other elements (such as banners).
- Clean, touch up, paint, install and/or undertake repairs to downtown site furniture, including cigarette butt receptacles, bicycle racks, information kiosks, brochure holders, planters, waste bins, benches and other.
- Install summer patios, including fencing and furnishings.
- Install lights on trees as needed.
- On a daily basis, set up bistro tables and chairs for downtown businesses/events, including Portage Ave & Millennium Library Park, ensuring the furniture is stored and properly maintained.
- Set up of street vendor kiosks and other furniture for Portage Alive as needed.
- Refurbish old/damaged street furniture currently in storage and re-install on the street.
- Prepare/clean out downtown flower beds.
- Undertake annual flower care on downtown sidewalks including planting, weeding, deadheading, trimming, etc. on a regular basis.
- Operate the weed-trimmer as required.
- Clean up and tend to select business planting beds, adding wood chip and vegetation as needed.
- Prepare and install free-standing business planters.
- Assist with maintaining, removal, shipping and storage of the annual flower baskets.
- Inspect all poles with hanging flower baskets weekly for wear and report to Enviro Team Supervisor.
- Provide specialized care to the plants in the Portage Avenue Marble Sculptures.
Storefront Decorating :
- Assist with the washing and detailing of downtown storefronts, as needed.
- Assist the Placemaking & Transportation Coordinator in transforming approximately five storefront windows downtown with new and creative displays, including taking measurements, cleaning up existing display spaces and helping install new displays.
- Set up artwork, photos and other visuals in windows as needed.
- Ensure all job sites; office and storage areas; and cart are cleaned up before leaving each day.
- Pick up litter and remove posters from light poles and non-approved areas.
- Operate a golf cart.
- Sidewalk and storefront washing as needed.
- Other related duties as may be assigned from the Manager, Placemaking, Cleanliness & Transportation.
- Days are spent outdoors. Heat or wet weather may present uncomfortable conditions on occasion;
- Change-room, shower facilities and lunchroom are provided;
- Uniform must be worn as issued, including steel toed footwear.
- Positive friendly working atmosphere!
- A great deal of walking and bending is required as well as lifting;
It is necessary to maintain a positive interaction with downtown businesses, residents and visitors. You must always present a polite, helpful, pleasant and enthusiastic attitude when dealing with people. Adherence to all policies of the Downtown BIZ is mandatory. Team will report to supervisor(s) as designated, throughout the day.
- Minimum Grade 12;
- Between the ages of 18 to 24 years old ;
- Positive attitude with strong interpersonal skills;
- Attention to detail and aptitude for painting, finishing work as well as gardening;
- Willingness to learn to operate tools and equipment as needed;
- Physically fit and able to fulfill duties and responsibilities as outlined;
- Solid work ethic, dependable, reliable and able to work effectively without supervision;
- Able to work days, evenings and/or weekends as required.
Seasonal position: May 5 – August 29, 2014 inclusive
Workweek: 5 days per week, 35 working hours per week
Monday to Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm, with one hour of unpaid breaks.
Actual days and hours of work may vary depending on scheduling and downtown events.
Wage: $12.00 per hour
Paid Training: Training will be conducted May 5th and 6th, with a regular work day starting Wednesday, May 7th.
All workers are covered by Workers Compensation Insurance.
- Between the ages of 18 – 24
- Minimum Grade 12
- Excellent knowledge of Downtown Winnipeg
- Positive attitude with strong interpersonal skills
- Physically fit and active
- Enjoy working outdoors in all weather
- Detail oriented
- Experience in planting or gardening
- Skilled in painting, finishing or woodworking
- Solid work ethic, dependable, reliable
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License a benefit to the position
When: Starting May 5, 2014 – August 29, 2014
Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., with one hour of unpaid breaks (Actual days and hours of work may vary depending on scheduling and events)
Rate: $12.00 per Hour
If this sounds like you, email or drop off your resume by April 13th to:
Downtown Winnipeg BIZ
426 Portage Avenue
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.