Downtown Winnipeg BIZ – Job Opportunity
Streetscape Team: Seasonal
Do you have a Summer Job Yet?
The Downtown Winnipeg BIZ is the friendly and hardworking host that provides a clean and welcoming environment to everyone that visits our downtown. Be part of the solution by joining the Streetscape Team!
The BIZ is looking for hardworking young men and women that love the outdoors, to work full-time from May to August 2015.
General Duties & Responsibilities:
- Promote to all downtown street-level businesses the need to create appealing and litter free streets, sidewalks and public areas by their beautification and maintenance efforts and reinforce the need for a cleaner downtown.
- Visit downtown businesses to gain their participation in Downtown BIZ image related initiatives.
- Make deliveries to Downtown BIZ members, when needed.
- Provide information and directions to downtown users and BIZ members.
- Assist with Placemaking Committee street projects, displays and events, including setting up signage, canopies, lighting and other.
- Maintain the Portage Avenue Marble Sculptures, Urban Art Gallery and other art projects, ensuring they are tended to daily and regularly cleaned, reporting any issues to management.
- Install signage, posters holders, brochure racks and other as needed in the Weather Protected Walkway System.
- Paint various downtown elements such as signal boxes and window shutters as needed.
- Assist with set up for downtown events as requested.
- Assist with the installation and upkeep of the Backlane Pilot Project, as needed.
- Assist with the washing and detailing of downtown storefronts, as needed.
- Set up artwork, photos and other visuals in windows, as needed.
Downtown Site Furniture:
- Conduct regular ongoing inventories and assessments of downtown street furniture and other elements (such as banners).
- Clean, touch up, paint, install and/or undertake repairs to downtown site furniture, including cigarette butt receptacles, bicycle racks, information kiosks, brochure holders, planters, waste bins, benches and other.
- Install summer patios, including fencing and furnishings.
- Install lights on trees as needed.
- On a daily basis, set up bistro tables and chairs for downtown businesses/events, including Portage Ave & Millennium Library Park, ensuring the furniture is stored and properly maintained.
- Set up of street vendor kiosks and other furniture for Portage Alive as needed.
- Refurbish old/damaged street furniture currently in storage and re-install on the street.
- Prepare/clean out downtown flower beds.
- Undertake annual flower care on downtown sidewalks including planting, weeding, deadheading, trimming, etc. on a regular basis.
- Operate the weed-trimmer as required.
- Prune shrubs as required.
- Clean up and tend to select business planting beds, adding wood chip and vegetation as needed.
- Prepare and install free-standing business planters.
- Assist with the install, maintenance and care of the Indigenous Garden and Community Garden Initiatives.
- Assist with maintaining, removal, shipping and storage of the annual flower baskets.
- Inspect all poles with hanging flower baskets weekly for wear and report to Enviro Team Supervisor.
- Provide specialized care to the plants in the Portage Avenue Marble Sculptures.
- Ensure all job sites; office and storage areas; and cart are cleaned up before leaving each day.
- Pick up litter and remove posters from light poles and non-approved areas.
- Operate a utility vehicle.
- Sidewalk and storefront washing as needed.
- Other related duties as may be assigned from the Manager, Placemaking, Cleanliness & Transportation.
- Days are spent outdoors. Heat or wet weather may present uncomfortable conditions on occasion;
- Change-room, shower facilities and lunchroom are provided;
- Uniform must be worn as issued, including steel toed footwear.
- Positive friendly working atmosphere!
- A great deal of walking and bending is required as well as lifting.
- Between the ages of 18 – 24
- Minimum Grade 12
- Excellent knowledge of Downtown Winnipeg
- Positive attitude with strong interpersonal skills
- Physically fit and active
- Enjoy working outdoors in all weather
- Detail oriented
- Experience in planting or gardening
- Skilled in painting, finishing or woodworking
- Solid work ethic, dependable, reliable
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License
It is necessary to maintain a positive interaction with downtown businesses, residents and visitors. You must always present a polite, helpful, pleasant and enthusiastic attitude when dealing with people. Adherence to all policies of the Downtown BIZ is mandatory. Team will report to supervisor(s) as designated, throughout the day.
When: Starting May 11, 2015 – August 24, 2015
Hours: 35 hour workweek, 5 working days per week. Must be available daytime, evenings and weekends. Actual days may vary depending on scheduling and operational need.
Rate: $12.25 per Hour
Visit www.downtownwinnipegbiz.com for complete job description
If this sounds like you, email or drop off your resume by April 12th to:
Downtown Winnipeg BIZ
426 Portage Avenue
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.