Under direction of the Director of Operations this role is responsible for the leadership of Public Realm projects and initiatives. The Manager collaborates with a variety of stakeholders to execute innovative projects that enhance and transform public spaces, creating a vibrant and inclusive Downtown for all. This position involves a mix of office work, site visits and engaging with Downtown Winnipeg BIZ Members and other stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will be a data driven decision maker with a proven track record of project management, an innovative problem solver and collaborative leader who is passionate about people and Downtown Winnipeg.
- Manage the overall strategy for placemaking and activating the public realm (such as parks, sidewalks, and other open spaces) through a variety of tools, including, but not limited to: public art, lighting, landscaping, furnishings, wayfinding, recreation, and signage.
- Develop activation concepts, identify partners, develop detailed project plans, implement concepts, and manage designers and contractors.
- Establish and foster relationships with artists, designers, architects, property owners, businesses, and other stakeholders.
- Effectively manage the overall operational, budgetary and financial responsibilities of the department.
- Lead the Placemaking and Transportation Committee to generate ideas and get consensus on strategic initiatives. Undertake administrative tasks related to the management for the committee such as notice of meetings, agenda setting, recording of minutes and maintaining committee lists.
- Develop and execute strategic goals and objectives by gathering pertinent information, identifying and evaluating ideas and trends, choosing a course of action, defining tactics and evaluating outcomes.
- Identify and secure funding sources to bring projects to fruition.
- Establish and maintain feedback systems and reports to track strategic goal accomplishment.
- Create layouts and detailed drawings for downtown streetscape, architecture and art projects.
- Provide oversight and direction to both permanent and seasonal members of the team.
- Post-secondary education in a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience in placemaking, urban planning or landscape architecture.
- Strong leadership skills, with minimum two years’ experience in management.
- Proven ability to plan, design and execute public realm initiatives.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage competing priorities.
- Enthusiastic self-starter with the ability to quickly learn and understand concepts, problem solve, take ownership, and manage work with minimal supervision.
- Computer proficiency (primarily related to: Adobe Suite and Vector Works/Auto CAD)
QUALIFIED CANDIDATES should submit their cover letter and resume including salary expectations to email@example.com. Please include position title in the subject line. Please be advised only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected.
Applicants should identify if they require accommodation during the competition process on a confidential basis.