WE ARE LOOKING FOR MR. or MS. CLEAN FOR DOWNTOWN WINNIPEG
The Downtown Winnipeg BIZ is the friendly and hardworking host that provides a clean and welcoming environment to everyone that visits our downtown. Be part of the solution by joining the Enviro Team as the new Maintenance & Cleanliness Coordinator!
The Maintenance & Cleanliness Coordinator will be responsible for maintaining a cleaner, more attractive downtown. You will be a team-builder, open to proactive approaches in maintenance and capable of functioning in a fast-paced environment.
– minimum of five years experience in a coordination role
– excellent organizational skills
– familiar with budget development
– solid supervisory experience
– strong communication skills, both written and oral
– professional positive attitude
– physically fit and comfortable working outdoors year round
– valid Class 5 license
– adept in a variety of manual trades, e.g. mechanical, carpentry, painting, electrical, landscaping, and any extra talents you bring with you
– skilled in repair and maintenance of small machinery
– current on WPSH legislation
Downtown BIZ offers a challenging, team-oriented work environment with competitive wages and benefits.
Title: Maintenance & Cleanliness Coordinator
Position Summary: Reports directly to the Manager, Placemaking, Cleanliness & Transportation. The Coordinator is responsible for ensuring a cleaner and more attractive downtown as well as influencing positive perceptions toward downtown cleanliness. The position will be responsible for all tasks described below.
Hours of work: This is a full time position requiring thirty-five hours per week. The work is generally weekdays 7:30-3:30, however actual hours and days of work may vary according to need and operational requirements. An occasional evening or weekend may be required.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Administration & Staff Management
- Provide the leadership, training and direction for the “Downtown Enviro Team.”
- Supervise the Maintenance & Cleanliness Crew Supervisor and provide support to the Maintenance & Cleanliness Crew Supervisor in the supervision of the cleanliness employees.
- With the assistance of the Maintenance & Cleanliness Crew Supervisor, schedule the Metro Enviro Team, including seasonal employees, for all shifts.
- With the support of the HR Manager and the Manager, Placemaking, Cleanliness & Transportation, undertake candidate selection, hiring, and disciplinary procedures related to cleanliness employees.
- Maintain daily attendance records for all cleanliness employees.
- Maintain a log of the tasks the cleanliness employees accomplish daily.
- Perform bi-weekly payroll edits using the automated time solutions system.
- Maintain statistics on maintenance / cleanliness, compiling totals on daily stat sheets, on a weekly basis.
- Assist the Manager, Placemaking, Cleanliness & Transportation with the creation of the placemaking & cleanliness strategic plan & budget.
- Implementation of the Downtown BIZ cleanliness strategic plan & budget.
- Administer all prescribed cleanliness programs within the approved annual budget / strategic plan, including acquisition, purchase, disbursement and maintenance of equipment, supplies, tools, and uniforms while providing an ongoing summation and monitoring of all financial details to the Manager, Placemaking, Cleanliness & Transportation.
- Coordinate efforts between the Downtown BIZ and other groups such as schools, clubs and Downtown BIZ members for downtown clean up days. Assist with the Earth Day Clean Up.
- Liaise with the City of Winnipeg Downtown Maintenance Coordinator on special events and maintenance / cleanliness issues downtown.
- Coordinate the issue driven Cleanliness sub-committee of the Placemaking Committee, undertaking meetings with stakeholders / partners on a quarterly basis.
- Maintain and increase the sponsorship arrangement with Winnipeg Transit to continue the year-round bus shelter cleaning program.
- Pursue sponsorship requests as needed for downtown cleanliness & maintenance programs.
- Maintain and improve the downtown anti-graffiti strategy. Work with downtown businesses and stakeholders to identify and remove graffiti. Ensure that the City of Winnipeg Graffiti Control Department is regularly provided with accurate records including damage waivers and removal forms, and that all required forms have been properly completed and signed prior to the commencement of work.
- Identify and record maintenance / cleanliness issues in the downtown for immediate reporting to the appropriate City department via the City’s 311 network, or other as needed. Utilize all available technology such as Smart phones, computers, digital cameras, etc.
- Provide maintenance / cleanliness information as well as maintain working partnerships with BIZ members, property owners and stakeholders.
- Communicate with suppliers in varying cleanliness / maintenance projects to obtain quotes and order materials, as needed.
- Notify the proper authorities of any criminal or suspicious activity and record and submit supporting evidence where applicable. i.e. – graffiti photos.
Maintenance and Cleanliness
- Maintain an efficient operating system to ensure all downtown sidewalks, transit shelters, lanes, plazas and parks are kept clear of litter, debris, and weeds using the sidewalk sweepers, utility vehicles, service trailers, pressure washers, powered hand tools, and/or other general clean-up equipment as required.
- Advocate for, purchase and / or provide recommendations for additional waste and recycling infrastructure as well as additional waste / recycling collections.
- Assist with the orchestration of various litter awareness programs.
- Prepare and submit meeting minutes, reports, statistics, measurables, and indicators regarding all cleaning and maintenance activities on a timely basis.
- Develop and maintain data relevant to cleanliness / maintenance, as needed.
- Operate all BIZ equipment and vehicles.
- Maintain a valid class five drivers’ license.
- Maintain the inventory control system for all tools, machinery, fuel, uniforms, supplies, and other related elements allocated for the ongoing operation of the maintenance department.
- Ensure the proper cleanliness, repair, and maintenance of all service equipment.
- Perform and/or coordinate basic facility maintenance & cleanliness at both the Vaughan Street warehouse and BIZ main office, including replacement of light bulbs, repair & set-up of furniture items, painting as needed, and any other minor repairs as may be required.
Placemaking and Events
- Assist the Manager, Placemaking, Cleanliness & Transportation with the implementation of Placemaking Committee initiatives as detailed in the strategic plan.
- Ensure the small scale installations of site furniture such as cigarette ash receptacles, bicycle racks, etc. as well as repairs and maintenance of Downtown BIZ owned sculptures, murals and site furniture, are performed, as required.
- Ensure street maintenance / cleanliness assistance is provided for special events in the Downtown BIZ area.
- Assist with logistical requirements & transportation / set up related to Downtown BIZ events, promotions and press conferences.
- Assist with the implementation of Manyfest as needed.
- Ensure the image of the “Enviro Team” is maintained and promoted at all times.
- Maintain a BIZ Maintenance & Cleanliness Workplace Safety and Health (WPSH) program, monitoring for compliance, including the recording and submission of committee minutes on a timely basis.
- Work cooperatively with the HR Manager in establishing and updating current WPSH policies and procedures related to the “Enviro Team.”
- Co-chair a Workplace Safety & Health Committee and schedule quarterly meetings as required by the Act.
- Follow all policies as established by the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ and collaborate with the management and Human Resource department to regularly review, update or establish policy as required to uphold best practices throughout.
- Participate on the Downtown BIZ Eco Committee.
- Other related duties as may be required or assigned from the Manager, Placemaking, Cleanliness & Transportation or the Executive Director.
If this sounds like you, email or fax your resume by August 1, 2014 to:
Downtown Winnipeg BIZ
We thank all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.