One Full Time Term Position ending December 31, 2020 (35 hours/week)
Part Time Permanent Positions
Rate of Pay: $15 per hour
Downtown Watch Ambassadors are responsible for promoting a safer and friendlier downtown by helping with directions and promoting events and attractions downtown. They also help monitor streets, sidewalks and the skywalk systems, and serve as extra “eyes and ears” to assist the Winnipeg Police Service, Emergency Medical System, Outreach services and the community.
This position is an excellent opportunity for those individuals who are studying in the field of criminology, criminal justice and other related social sciences. This role is also ideal for individuals interested in working in a dynamic and challenging environment, helping to keep the downtown safe for everyone.
- Perform foot patrol duties of the downtown area, being a visible presence and providing assistance to the public as needed
- Provide assistance to people experiencing homelessness
- Provide directions, general assistance, referrals and visit businesses while on patrol
- Identify safety concerns and relay issues to appropriate agencies
- Keep a daily record of all activities witnessed, notify authorities of all criminal or suspicious activities, submit statistics, and written reports (as requested)
- Assist with Downtown Winnipeg BIZ events as well as other partners and sponsor events and programs
- Perform bike patrol duties in the downtown area and The Forks
- Related work and/or volunteer experience
- Customer service experience
- Post-secondary education in a related field is considered an asset
- Class 5 Driver’s license
- Knowledge of downtown Winnipeg
- Valid CPR and First Aid certification is considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal, teambuilding, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to form relationships with various stakeholders
- Demonstrated understanding of the unique issues and barriers affecting vulnerable populations in downtown
- Knowledge and awareness of the Indigenous culture and cultural diversity
Conditions of Employment:
- Able to work days, evenings, and weekends
- Must be able to patrol on foot for 7 hours a day in all weather conditions
- Able to produce a clear criminal record check and clear child abuse registry check prior to commencing employment
Those who qualify and are interested in a staff position with the Downtown Watch are asked to submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Please be advised only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected.
Applicants should identify if they require accommodation during the competition process on a confidential basis.