Full Time and Part Time – One Year Term Positions Available
Downtown Watch Ambassadors are responsible for promoting a safer and friendlier downtown by helping with directions and promoting events and business downtown. They help monitor streets, sidewalks and the skywalk systems, and serve as extra “eyes and ears” to assist the Winnipeg Police Service, Emergency Medical System, Outreach services and the community.
The ideal candidate is a strong problem solver with excellent customer service and communication skills; a team player who cares about making a difference in the downtown community.
- Perform foot patrol duties of the downtown area, being a visible presence and providing assistance, directions and referrals to the public as needed
- Provide assistance to people experiencing homelessness
- Visit and build relationships with Downtown businesses, collecting feedback and identifying ways to provide valuable service to BIZ members
- Identify safety concerns and relay issues to appropriate agencies
- Keep a daily record of all activities witnessed, notify authorities of all criminal or suspicious activities, submit statistics, and written reports (as requested)
- Assist with Downtown Winnipeg BIZ events as well as other partners and sponsored events and programs.
- Perform bike patrol duties throughout the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ zone.
- Related work and/or volunteer experience
- Customer service experience
- Post-secondary education in a related field is considered an asset
- Class 5 Driver’s license
- Knowledge of downtown Winnipeg is considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal, problem solving, oral and written communication skills
- Ability to form relationships with various stakeholders
- Demonstrated understanding of the unique issues and barriers affecting vulnerable populations in downtown
- Knowledge and awareness of the Indigenous culture and cultural diversity
- Valid First Aid, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention and Mental Health First Aid certifications is considered an asset
Conditions of Employment:
- Able to work days, evenings, and weekends
- Must be able to patrol on foot for 7 hours a day in all weather conditions
- Able to produce a clear criminal record check and clear child abuse registry check prior to commencing employment
Those who qualify and are interested in a staff position with the Downtown Watch are asked to submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Please be advised only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected.
Applicants should identify if they require accommodation during the competition process on a confidential basis.