Job Title: Urban Enhancement – District Operator
The Downtown Winnipeg BIZ is the friendly and hardworking host that improves the perception of downtown by providing a welcoming environment, keeping things clean and safe, and advocating for continuous and positive change.
Reporting to the Manager of Maintenance, Cleanliness & Placemaking and Supervisor, this position is responsible for maintenance and cleanliness tasks to contribute to a more aesthetic downtown image. This role is responsible for continuous upkeep of public and private spaces to contribute to a cleaner and more appealing image in various districts of the downtown, including the SHED (The Sports, Hospitality and Entertainment District), Portage Ave, Graham Mall, Broadway and others.
The aim for downtown’s key districts is to create lively mixed-use areas that showcase retail shops, restaurants, places to live, cultural institutions, civic amenities, entertainment venues and high quality public spaces (including clean, well-maintained sidewalks).
- Contribute to urban enhancement beautification through seasonal installations, up keep of floral displays including watering programs, and placemaking infrastructures.
- Upkeep the district sidewalks as well as any other public or private spaces as assigned, clear waste, snow, ice, litter, debris and other unsightly issues.
- Operate side walk sweepers and sidewalk ploughs
- Remove posters from bus shelters, light poles and other non-approved areas in the various districts.
- Clean bus shelters and bus stop areas, year round.
- Undertake annual plant care on downtown sidewalks including planting, weeding, deadheading, trimming on a regular basis.
- Bio hazard clean up and removal
- Valid Class Five Drivers’ Licence
- Experience operating small equipment and tools, such as utility vehicles, pressure washers, snow plows and other as needed
- Experience in landscaping and plant care
- Skilled in manual trades; aptitude to undertake small maintenance repairs, painting, and finishing work.
- Understanding of Safe Work procedures and practices
- Possess a positive attitude with strong interpersonal and customer service skills
Conditions of Employment
- Ability to work in all weather conditions year round
- Ability to work days, evenings, and weekends as required
- Ability to stand or walk for prolonged periods and over uneven terrain
- Physically capable of performing the duties and responsibilities of the position including walking, shoveling, bending, reaching, crouching and lifting up to 50 lbs.
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity please forward your resume, cover letter and wage expectations with the position title to email@example.com
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected.
Applicants should identify if they require accommodation during the competition process on a confidential basis.