Reporting to the Manager of Maintenance & Cleanliness, this role contributes to making Downtown Winnipeg a vibrant and welcoming district through the continuous upkeep of outdoor public and private spaces. As a part of the Enviro team, District Operators perform maintenance and cleaning tasks, helping create an environment that is clean year round for those that live, work, and visit downtown.
- Upkeep sidewalks and other assigned spaces; clearing waste, snow, ice, litter, and debris.
- Clean, sanitize, and remove debris from bus shelters and bus stop areas
- Operate sidewalk sweepers and ploughs
- Undertake graffiti removal as assigned
- Assist with the transport, cleaning, repairs and installation of placemaking infrastructure
- Assist with annual plant care including planting, weeding, deadheading, and trimming
- Bio hazard clean up and removal
- Assist with event set-up and tear down
- Provide information and directions to the public as requested
- Record and report any maintenance safety concerns related to sidewalks, streets, public infrastructure, and private property
- Record statistics on daily maintenance activities
- Valid Class Five Drivers’ Licence
- Understanding of Safe Work procedures and practices
- Solid interpersonal, verbal communication, and customer service skills
- Experience operating small equipment and tools, such as utility vehicles, pressure washers, and snow plows
- Experience in manual labour and/or outdoor maintenance is considered an asset.
Conditions of Employment
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions year round
- Ability to work days, evenings, and weekends as required
- Ability to stand or walk for prolonged periods and over uneven terrain
- Physically capable of performing the duties and responsibilities of the position including walking, shoveling, bending, reaching, crouching and lifting up to 50 lbs