Title: Communications and Research Assistant
Classification: Temporary part-time (20 hours/week) for a specified duration from June 15, 2016 to August 30, 2016. This is a day position, Monday to Friday, with some flexibility in hours.
Salary: $14-$16 per hour.
Position Summary: The Communications and Research Assistant will report to the Executive Director and Managing Director, providing direct assistance in the compilation of research/data about downtown issues, writing of content related to the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ’s programs/services correspondence to public and community partners, and scheduling support for BIZ member/stakeholder meetings.
- Research on downtown issues
- Monitoring and tracking of news coverage related to the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ and downtown
- Trends analysis of BIZ program indicators
- Assist in auditing organizational communications materials.
- Ensure the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ’s website has regular, quality content posted featuring the BIZ’s diverse programs, services and accomplishments.
- Assistance in letter/report writing for engagement with BIZ members, stakeholders, and community partners.
- Create original content for Executive Director’s advocacy blog and op-ed submissions for various media partners.
- Proof advertising and other promotional/marketing materials for grammar, readability, and adherence to corporate communications requirements including branding and visual standards.
- In the absence of the Executive Director and Managing Director, attend meetings for information retrieval and draft highlights for actions moving forward.
- Program writing support/stories
- Updates to all BIZ presentation collateral.
- Scheduling support with BIZ members and stakeholders for the Executive Director and Managing Director.
Qualifications and Skills
- Top notch writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Strong personal motivation and self-management; possess the ability to take responsibility in meeting deadlines and making progress without direct supervision
- Working knowledge or willingness to learn about new software, interview techniques, and research methods
- Computer skills with Microsoft Office and experience with Adobe Creative Cloud is an asset.
- Proficiency with digital and social media tools (Twitter, Facebook, WordPress, BlogSpot, Tumblr)
- Must know photography and video recording and editing techniques.
- Articulate and tactful communications skills; readiness to meet and work directly with diverse stakeholders
- Strong interpersonal skills; readiness to provide compassionate interactions and respect for the dignity of every person
- Education in university or college degree program in communications or English
- Experience in a municipal or government communications setting.
- Must be able to work in high stress environments.
If this sounds like you, send or drop off your resume to:
Jason Syvixay, Managing Director
Downtown Winnipeg BIZ
426 Portage Avenue
Deadline for applications is June 3, 2016