A Delicious Year

 
 

2013 shaping up to be a delicious year in downtown Winnipeg
By: Shane Gibson
Metro Winnipeg

Photo by Shane Gibson/Metro Winnipeg
Bernie Cheater, owner of the former 4Play Sports Bar, and the bar’s CEO Oreanna Cheater have big changes planned for the downtown bar which is reopening this spring as Lux Supper Club

Several downtown Winnipeg restaurants are either opening or undergoing renovations in 2013, and the owners of a former downtown sports bar set to reopen this spring tell Metro the ongoing NHL strike had nothing to do with the decision to change, despite recent media reports.

After two-and-half years in business across from the MTS Centre 4Play Sports Bar officially closed after one last hurrah New Years Eve in order to rebuild the bar into a swanky new space called Lux Supper Club.

The bar’s CEO, Oreanna Cheater said they’d had been planning the more than a million-dollar revamp—which includes brining in a chef whose been featured on Canada’s Food Network— for months before the strike began, and infact, the strike couldn’t have come at a better time.

“We decided this would be the best time because of the strike so we wouldn’t interrupt the fans or anybody coming downtown,” she explained.

Lux Supper Club is set to open in late March or early April and will offer dinner and dancing and an upgraded menu from the traditional pub-fare they used to serve with a price-point similar to what you’ll find at Earls or Moxie’s Grill & Bar, according to Cheater.

The changes at 4Play come as a familiar
face in downtown cuisine, Noel Bernier, owner of Hermanos Steakhouse & Wine Bar and Corrientes Argentine Pizzeria, gets ready to open his latest venture, Carnaval Brazilian BBQ on Waterfront Drive.
“It’s Winnipeg’s first Brazilian style barbecue, and it’s the first significant commercial resident on the waterfront,” said Bernier. “It’s just a beautiful location overlooking the river.”

Carnaval Brazilian BBQ is slated to open at the end of this month or the first week of February.
Bernier also announced Thursday that he will be re-opening the revolving restaurant, hopefully this fall.

Other restaurants to watch out for:
Hu’s on First at Shaw Park closed at the end of 2012 and is expected to open in time for spring training with a new name, a new theme, and a new look.

Former Winnipeg Blue Bomber Ibrahim ‘Obby’ Khan announced plans to open a Shawarma restaurant in the city when he stepped off the Blue and Gold gridiron last April, and has said he’ll open the Shawarma Khan on McDermot Avenue sometime this year despite being signed to the Calgary Stampeders last season.