April 22, 2015
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2,750 LBS. OF LITTER COLLECTED BY 500+ DOWNTOWN COMMUNITY MEMBERS AND LOCAL CELEBRITIES
Downtown Winnipeg – Over 500 business leaders, community members and local celebrities took pride in making our downtown neighbourhood cleaner and greener at Downtown BIZ’s 10th annual Earth Day Clean-up, in honour of National Earth Day.
Joining the BIZ’s Metro Enviro-Team and staff at Thunderbird House and Millennium Library Park, participants picked up litter and helped make our downtown streets clean and vibrant from Higgins and Main Street all the way south to Donald Street. Volunteers picked up approximately 2,750 lbs. of litter and garbage.
Prizes were given out to corporate teams who took their participation to another level:
- Best Team Outfit: Pinchin Ltd.
- Most Members in a Team: Aboriginal Community Campus
- Most Enthusiastic Team: Inn at the Forks
- Most Lbs. of Litter Collected (individual): Carey Sebastien of Credit Union Central Manitoba (47 lbs)
- Most Lbs. of Litter Collected (team): Credit Union Central Manitoba (300 lbs)
- Best Team Name: Youth Employment Services “Keepin it TIE-D”
“What we saw today was a powerful commitment from the downtown community to keep our city clean and green,” said Stefano Grande, Executive Director of the Downtown BIZ. “This event connects business people with our Metro Enviro-Team so they can see firsthand the important work they do, and how valuable it is to have a downtown that is spotless, clean, and inviting.”
Local celebrities and media representatives were paired with teams, helping to collect even more pounds of litter than last year’s event:
- Doug Speirs, Winnipeg Free Press
- Chris D., ChrisD.ca, Managing Editor
- Mike Koncan, Global TV Winnipeg, Reporter
- Brittany Greenslade, Global TV Winnipeg, Reporter
- Shannon Cuciz, Global TV Winnipeg
- Marcy Markusa, CBC Radio One, Host
- Goldie & Goldette, Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Adam West, Frankie Hollywood, & Energy 106 Street Team, Energy 106
- JD & Vicki, Fresh Radio 99.1
- Jay & Jolene, BIG FM
About the Downtown BIZ Metro Enviro-Team
Our 20-person Downtown BIZ Metro Enviro-Team helps keep the downtown clean and looking great. Fourteen year-round staff and additional seasonal members pick up litter, water flowers, remove graffiti, remove posters, and clean downtown’s sidewalks every day. Starting at 6:30 in the morning, sidewalk machines sweep and wash downtown, and in the winter two snow ploughs clear major sidewalks of ice and light snow. The Metro Enviro-Team also picks up more than 5,000 bags of litter every year!
Earth Day Clean-up volunteers received free coffee and donuts from Tim Hortons, colorful bandanas and cleaning supplies. Some lucky volunteers also won bikes and gift cards, courtesy of Tim Hortons. Keeping with the green theme, the first 150 participants at each location also received a free Tim Hortons travel mug, in addition to 150 plantable trees. Over 200 Goldeyes tickets were also handed out!
Special thanks to our generous sponsors: Tim Hortons, Swish Waste Management, Frogbox Winnipeg and Johnson Waste Management. For more information, visit http://downtownwinnipegbiz.com/programs-services/cleanliness/.
Photos for use by media: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qebvsewtjahdjuf/AABQ6H8RENBD7sq6mdylQ3PWa?dl=0
– 30 –
For more information, contact:
Jason Syvixay, Managing Director
(204) 958-4635; email@example.com