April 22, 2014
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2,500 LBS. OF LITTER COLLECTED BY 450+ DOWNTOWN COMMUNITY MEMBERS AND LOCAL CELEBRITIES
Downtown Winnipeg – Adorned in green Earth Day bandanas, 450+ business leaders, community members and local celebrities arrived in droves to make our corner of the earth a little bit greener at the Downtown BIZ’s 9th annual Earth Day Clean-up, in honour of National Earth Day.
Joining the BIZ’s Metro Enviro-Team and staff at Thunderbird House and Millennium Library Park, participants picked up litter and helped make our downtown streets clean and vibrant – covering even more of the downtown in 2014, from Higgins and Main Street all the way south to Donald Street. Volunteers picked up approximately 2,500 lbs. of litter and garbage.
Prizes were given out to corporate teams who took their participation to another level:
- Best Team Outfit: Canada’s History
- Most Members in a Team: TelPay
- Most Enthusiastic Team: Credit Union Central Manitoba
- Most Lbs. of Litter Collected: Luke Carrier of TelPay
- Best Team Name: Sports for Life Centre for their team, Trash Talkers
“What we saw today was a powerful commitment from the downtown community to keep our city clean and green,” said Stefano Grande, Executive Director of the Downtown BIZ. “This event connects business people with our Metro Enviro-Team so they can see firsthand the important work they do, and how valuable it is to have a downtown that is spotless, clean, and inviting.”
Local celebrities and media representatives were paired with teams, helping to collect even more lbs. of litter than last year’s event:
- Current and alumni Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Jodi Moskal, Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, Chair
- Chrissy Troy, 103.1 Virgin Radio, Host
- Ace Burpee, 103.1 Virgin Radio, Host
- Chris D., ChrisD.ca, Managing Editor
- Frankie Hollywood, Energy 106, Host
- Mike Koncan, Global TV Winnipeg, Reporter
- Marcy Markusa, CBC Radio One, Host
- Shane Gibson, Metro Winnipeg, Reporter
- Goldie, Winnipeg Goldeyes
About the Downtown BIZ Metro Enviro-Team
Our 20-person Downtown BIZ Metro Enviro-Team helps keep the downtown clean and looking great. Nine year-round staff and 11 additional seasonal members pick up litter, water flowers, remove graffiti, remove posters, and clean downtown’s sidewalks every day. Starting at 6:30 in the morning, sidewalk machines sweep and wash downtown, and in the winter two snow plows clear major sidewalks of ice and light snow. The Metro Enviro-Team also picks up more than 5,000 bags of litter every year!
Earth Day Clean-up volunteers received free coffee and donuts from Tim Hortons, fun and colorful bandanas and cleaning supplies. Some lucky volunteers also won bikes and gift cards, courtesy of Tim Hortons. Keeping with the green theme, the first 150 participants at each location also received a free Tim Hortons travel mug, in addition to 150 plantable trees. Over 240 Goldeyes tickets were also handed out!
Special thanks to our generous sponsors: Tim Hortons, Swish Waste Management, and Johnson Waste Management. For more information, visit http://downtownwinnipegbiz.com/programs-services/cleanliness/.
– 30 –
For more information, contact:
Jason Syvixay, Managing Director
(204) 958-4635; firstname.lastname@example.org