Our 30-person Downtown BIZ Enviro-Team helps keep the downtown clean and looking great. Nine year-round staff, and 11 additional seasonal members pick up litter, water flowers, remove graffiti, remove posters, and clean downtown’s sidewalks every day. Starting at 6:30 in the morning, sidewalk machines sweep and wash downtown, and in the winter two snow plows clear major sidewalks of ice and light snow. The Enviro-Team also picks up more than 5,000 bags of litter every year!
The team includes:
- 2-person daily bus shelter cleaning crew
- 5-person weekend summer cleaning crew
- 2-person evening shift litter (daily)
- 2-person dedicated graffiti removal team
- 2-person flower watering team
- 2-person sidewalk sweeper team (summer) / sidewalk snow removal team (winter)
- 4-person promotions crew (summer)
- 2 Clean Team Supervisors and 1 Maintenance Coordinator
- Two deluxe sidewalk sweepers
- Two snow plows/sweepers
- Watering carts and graffiti removal carts
The City and Siloam Mission’s Mission: Off the Streets Team (MOST) add to the clean-and-green efforts.
Cleanliness Services Include:
Two Clean Team members are dedicated to fighting graffiti year round in our downtown. They pressure wash buildings and match paint samples to remove tags and keep downtown looking great. With these staff, the BIZ is able to maintain a positive impression of downtown Winnipeg.
The BIZ recognizes that a lot of graffiti and litter lead to perceptions that an area is not safe. The mere presence of graffiti and litter often lead to more graffiti and litter, which encourages vandalism and even crime, because it sends a message that an area is not well-cared for and no one is looking after the neighbourhood. Through our Enviro-Team members and many programs, the BIZ sends the message that we are taking care of our downtown.
Spotted graffiti? Let us know: 204-958-4640
The BIZ Enviro-Team crews will spray down awnings, building facades, doors and windows in minutes… and it’s FREE for Downtown BIZ members!
Want your business cleaner? Call 204-958-4640 to book an appointment.
Cigarette Butt Receptacle Program
Did you know the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ Enviro Team picks up about 125 cigarette butts and six cigarette packages on each block of downtown each day? Help the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ and Take Pride Winnipeg! fight cigarette butt litter by participating in our Anti-Cigarette Butt Litter Campaign!
- BIZ will install a cigarette butt receptacle at no cost
- BIZ and Take Pride Winnipeg! will provide catchy signage for first month receptacle in place (to remind smokers to use receptacle)
- BIZ and Take Pride Winnipeg! will provide educational material to distribute to employees and customers
- BIZ will be on hand for graffiti removal on receptacles
- Business responsible for emptying and maintaining
After the first month, businesses can keep the cigarette butt receptacles permanently by signing up for a cost-sharing program with the BIZ (limited number of receptacles available)
- Downtown BIZ will contribute 25% of the receptacle cost
- Take Pride Winnipeg will contribute 25%
- Participating business will contribute 50%
The Downtown BIZ works hard every year to encourage downtown businesses and community to take ownership of their neighborhood. The Earth Day Clean Up is a downtown tradition, which is supported by approximately 300 business and community members who take over downtown streets each April at the BIZ’s annual Earth Day Clean Up in honor of National Earth Day. This day-long event is part of the BIZ’s overall efforts to clean the downtown, which sees members of the BIZ Enviro-Team vacuuming up litter, removing graffiti, removing posters, power washing bus shelters and sweeping sidewalks.