Title: Maintenance Crew, Chinatown
Reporting to the Maintenance & Cleanliness Coordinator and Supervisor, the staff member will be responsible for the maintenance and cleanliness tasks described herein to contribute to a cleaner downtown image in Chinatown (in conjunction with the Winnipeg Chinese Community Cultural Center) and the downtown at large.
Hours of Work:
A full-time seasonal position requiring 35 paid hours of work per week. Days and shifts vary from Monday to Sunday. Evening and weekend shifts will be required. Actual hours and days will vary depending on operational need and events.
Rate of Pay: $11.80 per hour
Skills and Qualifications Required:
- Minimum Grade 12 or equivalent
- Between the ages of 18 to 24 years old
- Positive attitude with strong interpersonal skills
- Agreeable to working a varied schedule
- Physically fit and active
- Detail oriented
- Enjoy working outdoors year round, in all types of weather
- Experience in landscaping and plant care
- Skilled in manual trades
- Comfortable operating tools and equipment as needed, including lawn mower & weed trimmer
- Solid work ethic, dependable, reliable and able to work effectively without supervision
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License required
Customer Service is essential at the BIZ! It is necessary to maintain a positive interaction with downtown businesses, residents and visitors. You must always present a polite, helpful, pleasant and enthusiastic attitude when dealing with the public.
- Days are spent outdoors. Heat, cold or wet weather may present uncomfortable conditions on occasion.
- A great deal of walking and bending is required as well as lifting.
- Change-room, shower facilities and lunchroom are provided.
- Uniform and safety equipment must be worn as issued, and only during work hours.
- Positive friendly working atmosphere!
- All workers are covered by Workers Compensation Insurance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Report to work on time, at an assigned location, and to the Maintenance & Cleanliness Supervisor at the start of each shift.
- Follow all rules, regulations and policies of the Downtown BIZ.
- Maintain a Valid Class Driver’s License
- Perform all duties in a responsible manner.
- Ensure all job sites, storage areas and vehicles are cleaned up before leaving each day.
To undertake the following functions:
- Pick up litter on downtown sidewalks, parks and bus shelters (as assigned by supervisor) using equipment provided on a daily basis.
- Using a broom / dust pan and other tools / equipment as needed to upkeep the downtown sidewalks as well as any other public or private spaces as assigned, to clear waste, litter, debris and other unsightly issues, as needed.
- Clean bus shelters as needed.
- Remover posters from bus shelters, light poles and other non-approved areas in the downtown.
- Assist with the downtown flower and community garden programs for installation, watering, weeding, deadheading and removal of plants.
- Operate the weed-trimmer as required to remove unsightly growth.
- Operate a utility vehicle, pressure washer and lawn mower.
- Pressure wash, deodorize, sidewalks / elements / storefront which are dirty (as assigned by supervisor).
- Assist with transport and installation of street furniture as required.
- Assist with clean, touch up, install and/or undertake repairs to downtown site furniture as needed.
- Assist with painting various district elements for visual appeal as needed.
- Assist with the weekly cleaning, maintenance and assessment of downtown sculptures and artwork.
- Record statistics on maintenance and duties performed downtown.
- Record maintenance and repair issues related to sidewalks, streets, public infrastructure, etc. as well as private privacy property and report to the supervisor in order to submit to the City / 311.
- Provide information and directions to downtown users.
- Assist with Placemaking Committee street projects, as needed.
- Assist with the set-up and take-down of events.
- Other related duties as may be assigned.
When: Starting May 2nd – August 26th, 2016
Hours: 35 hour workweek, 5 working days per week. Must be available daytime, evenings and weekends. Actual days may vary depending on scheduling and operational need.
Wage: $11.80 per hour
All workers are covered by Workers Compensation Insurance.
If this sounds like you, please forward your resume and cover letter with the position title in the subject line by April 4, 2016:
Downtown Winnipeg BIZ
426 Portage Avenue
Thank you for your interest, please be advised only those selected for an interview will be contacted.