Title: District Operator
Reporting to the Maintenance & Cleanliness Coordinator and Supervisor, the staff member will be responsible for the continuous upkeep of public and private spaces, described herein, to contribute to a cleaner and more appealing image in various districts of the downtown, including the SHED (The Sports, Hospitality and Entertainment District), Portage Avenue, Graham Mall, Broadway and others.
The aim for downtown’s key districts is to create lively mixed-used areas that showcase retail shops, restaurants, places to live, cultural institutions, civic amenities, entertainment venues and high quality public spaces (including clean, well-maintained sidewalks).
Our goal is to ensure the level of cleanliness and image is at a VERY HIGH level in these districts and particularly in the SHED, in addition to, and above and beyond current BIZ level of cleanliness services.
Hours of Work:
This is a full time position requiring thirty five hours (35) per week. The hours and days of work will vary according to the district event schedule and operational requirements. Evenings and weekends will be a normal aspect to the position, at any time as assigned. After work/overtime hours may also be required as assigned, as per BIZ policies.
Rate of Pay: $15.30/hour
Skills & Qualifications Required:
- Minimum Grade 12
- Valid Class Five Drivers’ Licence (Full Stage)
- Able to work days, evenings and weekends as required
- Physically fit and active
- Enjoy working outdoors year round
- Experience operating small equipment and tools, such as utility vehicles, pressure washers, snow plows and other as needed
- Skilled in manual trades
- Aptitude to undertake small maintenance repairs
- Experienced in landscaping and plant care
- Aptitude for painting and finishing work
- Understanding of Safe Work procedures and practices
- Positive attitude with strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Detail oriented
- Ability to problem solve in regards to the larger mandate
- Solid work ethic, dependable, reliable and able to work effectively without supervision
- Willingness to learn new skills as needed
Customer Service is essential at the BIZ! It is necessary to maintain a positive interaction with downtown businesses, residents and visitors. You must always present a polite, helpful, pleasant and enthusiastic attitude when dealing with the public.
- Days are spent outdoors. Heat, cold or wet weather may present uncomfortable conditions on occasion.
- A great deal of walking and bending is required as well as lifting.
- Change-room, shower facilities and lunchroom are provided.
- Uniform and safety equipment must be worn as issued, and only during work hours.
- Positive friendly working atmosphere!
- All workers are covered by Workers Compensation Insurance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Report to work on time, at an assigned location, and to the Maintenance & Cleanliness Supervisor at the start of each shift.
- Follow all rules, regulations and policies of the Downtown BIZ.
- Maintain a Valid Class Five Full Stage Driver’s License
- Perform all duties in a responsible manner.
- Ensure all job sites, storage areas and vehicles are cleaned up before leaving each day.
- To undertake the following functions:
- Operate the Nilfisk street sweeper on sidewalks as per priority areas assigned by the supervisor.
- Pressure wash, deodorize sidewalks / elements which are dirty (in priority areas assigned by supervisor).
- With assigned equipment and including manual labor, clear snow and ice from sidewalks within four hours of snow fall, and sand/salt as required – based on priority areas as assigned by supervisor.
- Perform snow and ice removal from in and around bus stops, around parking pay stations and trouble areas as per the schedule assigned.
- Pick up litter on district sidewalks, parks and bus shelters (as assigned by supervisor) using equipment provided on a daily basis.
- Using a broom / dust pan and other tools / equipment as needed to upkeep the sidewalks as well as any other public or private spaces as assigned, to clear waste, litter, debris and other unsightly issues, as needed.
- Undertake planting, maintaining, watering, dead heading, weeding and removal of the annual flowers and baskets in the areas assigned by the supervisor.
- Operate the weed-trimmer as required.
- Using equipment provided, clean graffiti as per priority areas assigned by the supervisor and calls received.
- Ensure waivers are signed by business owners for graffiti removal.
- Colour match buildings for graffiti removal as needed.
- During non-winter/ no snow months, clean designated bus shelters every day.
- Pick up loose litter in and around bus shelters using equipment provided
- Power wash shelter floors and windows
- Deodorize shelters
- Report damage to Winnipeg Transit/City
- During the winter / snow months, clean all downtown bus as assigned
- Pick up litter in and around bus shelters using equipment provided
- Chip snow away from all bus shelter doors
- Sand / salt bus shelters, where required
- Deodorize shelters
- Wash windows
- Report damage to Winnipeg Transit / City
- Remove posters from bus shelters, light poles and other non-approved areas.
- Record and follow up on all maintenance and repair issues related to sidewalks, streets, public infrastructure, bus shelters, etc. as well as private property and report to the supervisor in order to submit to the City / 311.
- Record statistics on maintenance and duties performed in the assigned areas.
- Clean, touch up, install and/or undertake repairs to assigned areas site furniture as needed.
- Paint various areas elements for visual appeal as needed.
- Assist with Placemaking Committee annual street projects as assigned.
- Assist with the set-up and take-down of events.
- Provide information and directions to downtown users.
- Other related duties as may be assigned.
If this sounds like you, please forward your resume and cover letter with the position title in the subject line by March 10, 2016:
Downtown Winnipeg BIZ
426 Portage Avenue
Please be advised only those selected for an interview will be contacted.